Wednesday 28 August 2013

Beauty matters

I don't know if ya'll can tell but I have oily skin. It drives me crazy and I never go anywhere without pressed powder. I am constantly checking myself out in the mirror for excessive shine that I am sure people think I am so vain! It gets awkward! I am finding that I have to cake on a lot of makeup to try to mask my skin's imperfections. So like all the other things I am droning on and on about, I have to make this work and change this oily situation.

 
 
Been doing some research and this is what I have come up with:
 

CAUSES

Oily skin is caused by overactive sebaceous glands that are affected by a variety of stimuli such as hormones, humidity, heat and even stimulation by aggressive scrubbing or washing. The body naturally produces oil to keep the skin moisturised and healthy, however, too much oil can cause breakouts and blemishes, yet stripping the skin of all oil causes the body to overcompensate and produce more oil. Oily skin is an internal problem, so there is little that can be done except for treating it externally with a variety of cleansers and topical products.

 

CLEANSING  

Many people with oily skin are actually combination skin types with the forehead, nose and chin areas oily and the cheeks normal or dry skin, this can make cleansing the skin complicated. How oily your skin is will determine the types of cleansers you choose. Some dermatologists suggest using a cleanser and toner that contains salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide or beta-hydroxy acid. You will have to find the combination that works best for your skin.
 
Some tips for cleansing: 
  1. Always wash hands before cleansing your face to protect your skin from bacteria
  2. Use a gentle pH balanced gel-based or cream foaming cleanser 2 to 3 times a day
  3. Use warm water to rinse — not hot — as hot water will increase production of oil
  4. Use an alcohol/acetone free toner on the oily parts of your face
  5. Moisturise — oily skin needs moisture just as much as any other skin type. Use a light, oil-free moisturiser
  6. Use an Alpha hydroxy (AHA) facial mask once a week
  7. Use a clay facial mask once a week to tighten pores
  8. Be consistent with your routine, you can't skip even one night!

 

PROTECTION

Like all other skin types, oily skin needs protection from the sun. Unfortunately, traditional sunscreens can cause havoc on oily skin, blocking pores and causing breakouts. Instead, try using a sunscreen gel or one of the new oil-free sunscreens. It is recommended that all skin types use a sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 15, however using SPF 30 or higher is preferred.
 

 

COSMETICS

When choosing cosmetics for oily skin, you have to be careful to stay away from products that contain oil. Use a mineral-based powder foundation or, for liquid makeup, look for the ingredient dimethicone, which is a non-oil-based moisturising agent that helps keep the product smooth. You can also look for makeup which contains small amounts of salicylic acid which is anti-inflammatory. Serecite is another ingredient to look for that will help reduce pore size and absorb oil. Be sure to choose a foundation that is one colour lighter than your actual skin tone because the oil on your skin will darken the makeup. Matte cosmetics for eyeshadow and blush are best for oily skin.
 
The trick to having a smooth makeup finish is to prepare your skin before applying. Use an oil-free toner and light moisturiser for the base before applying foundation.

 
 

 

DIET

Eating a healthy diet is good for your entire body and may also help the appearance of your skin. Eat a diet rich in antioxidant foods like blueberries, spinach, carrots, and other brightly coloured fruits and vegetables. Include foods that contain Omega-3 fatty acids like salmon, tuna, mackerel, walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts to improve skin texture. You should reduce foods high in fat and sugar and increase proteins and complex carbohydrates. Also, drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated. I also think that getting enough sleep is also important.
 

I am not the biggest fan of H2O and I find a lot of people with oily skin, some even with acne, drink a lot of water but I don't see any significant difference, I will give it a shot.


So I am on a mission and I pledge to follow all the cleansing tips I found and I will document the results.

xo

 

No comments:

Post a Comment