Friday 16 August 2013

My crowning beauty...

As I said in my previous post, I am going to be cutting my hair and going natural. This is a big deal in the black community because so much of the constructs surrounding "black beauty" are pinned to hair. "Good hair" has always been defined as long, straight, fully chemically treated hair or a really lush expensive weave. I have done it all, weaves, wigs, braids, relaxer all of it!
 









I am sure you get the point, that when it comes to hair I have done everything... except dye it and cut it. 
 
I have made the decision to cut my hair, as in all of it off on the 7th of December 2013, natural peeps call it the BC, the big chop. I have two reasons why I picked that date the first reason that I am a bridesmaid in two weddings in November and December and I don't want to have any upset brides should I not photograph well with my new hairdo. The second is that I want to end this year and start next year, afresh, so new hair, new look, new job. At the moment I am transitioning to natural hair and I have not put any chemical treatments in my hair for about 4 months.
 
This is the look I am going for and will be sporting for most the summer...







 
Yes, I will be rocking a TWA, a teeny weeny afro! I won't lie I am a bit scared and nervous but I really want to get it done. Without getting too emotional, the last two years have been really tough and so challenging and I just feel like I need to purge myself of the things of the past and I think cutting my hair and having a whole image makeover is exactly what I need.
 
I am trying to do as much research as I can on natural hair, how to look after it, what are the best products to use and where to get them. I am not under any illusions that looking after natural hair will be easy, I get that it is a lot of work but I am up for the challenge.
 
First things first, recovering my hairline! All that weaving can most definitely take it's toll on your edges. So I have been given some great advice that I should apply castor oil to those patchy bits. 
 
Wish me luck!
 
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment