Friday 16 August 2013

Chasing my dreams...



 

 

I have a strong love for fashion as most of you may already know from The Black Diamond Series. It has always been a dream of mine to be involved in fashion in some way. I remember being 11 years old and drawing pictures of what my prom dress would look like. I have a dream to one day own my own fashion label that is 100% authentic and 100% me, from the actual design process right down to moment the garments hit the runway. For fear of intellectual property theft I won't expand too much on my exact idea. 
 
I would really love to study fashion and learn how to create a garment from scratch, ideally in the fashion capital of the world, Paris. I have been toying with the idea of going to design school and doing some research on design schools but a lot of them are so expensive and require a lot of committment time-wise, not ideal for a girl like me with a very demanding full-time job. I even started toying with the idea of getting a scholarship to study for my Masters in Paris in Banking Law in the hopes that I would be able to squeeze in a fashion school stint on the side, not very feasible!
 
I have designs literally coming out of my head, when I am bored and start doodling there is a 99% chance that my doodle will be a dress of some kind or a jacket or a pair of heels. I have been asked many times what I am doing working at a law firm and my response has always been that I love the law too. We live in a society that allows for people to have several career choices running concurrently, the so-called slashies, Singer/Actress/Dancer. I don't know if its possible but I would like to be lawyer/designer/stylist/life-coach/community-developer/noted photographer/writer/ famed blogger/business mogul!
   
I have been having some serious conversations with myself about how serious I am about this fashion dream and how badly I want it. The last two years have not been conducive for me to pursue my other interests and as a result I have put a lot of my plans on hold or shelved them altogether. I am taking my life back and breathing back life into my dreams and ambitions and I have decided that next year I am going to enrol in some basic design courses and at least just start.
 
I found a school that allows part-time studies and teaches beginners design skills including how to work a sewing machine, how to cut fabric, how to work with measurements. It's not too hard on the pocket and I can do it over weekends. Fun, exciting stuff!
 
I am setting myself a deadline to report back on any further information as well as when I plan to register for the course. By 1 October 2013, I will have an update on this. 
 
xo





 

2 comments:

  1. one of my affirmations is" NEVER BE AN ENABLER OF YOUR DREAMS" Yes, it can be quite a challenge but with GOD, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE. KEEPS your dream alive and never stop pursuing them, HE Gave you the vision for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thank you so much for this...its been a tough week and I have been doing so much thinking and over-thinking about my dreams and I whether I should pursue them or not and your comment came at the right time, God is already taking care of my dreams...THANK YOU SO MUCH

    ReplyDelete