Wednesday 25 September 2013

Impulse buying - the worst kind of evil!

So I recently put up a post about great skincare and of all the tips I put up I only do about half...pathetic I know, but like I said, it's a work in progress.
 
In terms of the things I am doing right, I am proud to say diet is one of them. I have been really good with things like not eating sweets and chocolate, eating lots of fruit and vegetables, cutting down on bad carbs and drinking lots of water...well, more water than I would normally drink, which was never!
 
The other thing I did right was buy a good primer, I actually bought this primer...

As recommended in my previous post
 
I bought it on impulse after doing some general research. I have to say the results have been amazing, my makeup stays on the the entire day which I love. Even with my oily skin, I now don't have to constantly powder up my face to get a matte effect.
 

 
So the other day whilst shopping for cosmetics, I stumbled upon some BB creams. I have heard a lot about these little miracles in a tube from friends and from the internet but I hadn't really researched much about it. With summer around the corner, I don't like having my face caked in makeup because it gets so hot and my skin gets really oily and clogged up, summer in general is not a good time for my skin. I knew BB creams are a great substitute for foundation with much lighter but effective coverage.
 
I stumbled upon Rimmel's 9 in 1 light BB cream. I really like Rimmel products, they have great eyeliner, mascara, lipsticks and lip glosses plus one of their brand ambassadors is my beloved Solange Knowles, so I figured this must be a good product and on impulse bought it. WRONG!!!

 

 
Here's why:
 
Firstly and most contentiously, they only have three shades which excludes my skin tone. I picked the darkest which is medium to dark and let me tell you, once I applied it to my entire face, I looked crazy!!! Even the darkest shade is way too light for my skin, so much so I had to cake on some pressed powder to make myself look like a normal black person again!!! 
 
Secondly, this whole 9 in 1 thing is a gross exaggeration, the product claims to do the following:
  • Primes
  • Moisturizes
  • Minimizes Pores
  • Conceals
  • Covers
  • Smoothes
  • Mattifies
  • Brightens
  • Protects skin
The results:
  • My skin was not makeup ready
  • My skin felt extremely greasy
  • My pores have never looked bigger
  • Before I even left the house I had to apply more pressed powder to my T-zone and had to continue doing so for the rest of the day!
  • In terms of coverage I could still see spots and dark marks in spite of my face looking grey
  • I was a greasy, shiny mess all day!!!
  •  
Lastly, the point of BB creams is to give you lighter coverage without having to apply normal heavier makeup. Once I had applied the cream and all that pressed powder, my face was so full of makeup, you could literally scrape it off with a spoon! Not cool!!!
 
Basically the product did not deliver on any of it's promises! This makes me really mad at Rimmel for this false advertising and even more mad at myself for not having done my homework properly and for shopping on impulse!
 
I lost the receipt so I can't take this cream back or get my money back. I am officially done with BB creams, I don't think it is possible for one product to do what several products already do so well. As the old adage goes, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is". If any chocolate sisters out there are currently using a good BB cream that they are happy with, please feel free to give me a shout.
 
xo
 
 
     
     
     
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment