Monday 30 September 2013

These are my confessions...

Confession time!!! I think I am losing my mind!!! I have come to this conclusion after spending most of the morning (on my job) doing what I have become infamous for doing, looking at other people enjoying life! I love blog hunting and reading about what amazing women out there are doing. I oooh and aaah until I literally sink into a depression cuz in those moments I am sitting at my desk, bored, with a stack of files piling up next to me, completely uninterested in what I am doing, praying my boss won't find me not working, also praying that I can continue to blog hunt undisturbed! Like where are my priorities???
 
Today was pretty much the same, I found some amazing women with amazing dreams, amazing style, amazing hair, amazing everything...
 
I found all this magic today...

 
Two best friends who created a community for women to connect, encourage and inspire one another. Around the Way Curls is an online publication that infuses pop culture and issues of women’s interest with an emphasis on the beauty, originality and spirit of naturally kinky, curly hair. With hair as the catalyst, they work hard to deliberately re-define what beauty is and to re-condition women not only to embrace their natural state of being, but to value their individual uniqueness and overall worth. They want every woman to know that it is our birthright to be beautiful.
 
Check them out here
 
Then I found these two Incredible sisters Jade and Jas, who live in Philadelphia and are both uber creative, stylish and very pretty. Jas is an incredible photographer and a curly haired girl (which we love) Jade has the most incredible story, she was diagnosed with a serious heart condition and she chronicles her feelings and thoughts and experiences as she recovers. Being sick made her view life differently and tackle all the things we are so often too afraid to. So this amazing young lady has begun recording her first album and from the little I have heard she is awesome!

 

 
Check out Jade and Jas' blog here
 
So while I was busy doing what I always do, getting caught up in other people's lives, I found this article on Curls Around the Way, "Why we may be unhappy: Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy" which is an excerpt from Wait but why on Huffington Post.
 
Here is a little bit of what the article said:
 
Say hi to Lucy.
2013-09-15-Geny1.jpg
 
Lucy is part of Generation Y, the generation born between the late 1970s and the mid 1990s. She's also part of a yuppie culture that makes up a large portion of Gen Y.
 
I have a term for yuppies in the Gen Y age group -- I call them Gen Y Protagonists & Special Yuppies, or GYPSYs. A GYPSY is a unique brand of yuppie, one who thinks they are the main character of a very special story.
 
So Lucy's enjoying her GYPSY life, and she's very pleased to be Lucy. Only issue is this one thing:
Lucy's kind of unhappy.
 
To get to the bottom of why, we need to define what makes someone happy or unhappy in the first place. It comes down to a simple formula:

2013-09-15-Geny2.jpg
 
 
The gist of the article is that as Gen Y's we have this sense of entitlement and our expectations of our career and all the things that come with being a young professional are extremely high, and that our expectations are never met and the reality of our lives isn't at all what we had envisioned. I identified so much with the Lucy, because like her, my expectations of what my life would be like and what the reality is are two very different things and it has led to me feeling frustrated and unhappy at times.
 
There is this bit in the article where they talk about how us Gen Y's are taunted by by a modern phenomenon Facebook Image Crafting. Which basically means:
Social media creates a world for Lucy where A) what everyone else is doing is very out in the open, B) most people present an inflated version of their own existence, and C) the people who chime in the most about their careers are usually those whose careers (or relationships) are going the best, while struggling people tend not to broadcast their situation. This leaves Lucy feeling, incorrectly, like everyone else is doing really well, only adding to her misery. The truth is her peers are in exactly the same boat! Read the rest here.

2013-09-15-Geny16.jpg


It made me think about myself and I found so much of who I am, my thinking and my habits in this article. I am that girl who spends hours on Facebook looking at what everybody is up to, which one of my online friend's has an awesome job? who has been jet-setting and travelling? who had awesome wedding pictures? who is on their second kid? It drives me a little bit nuts sometimes. Ok a lot nuts! And then to top it off I blog hunt and read thousands of posts about women living their best lives, a painful reminder that I am currently not living my best life, I am watching everyone else do that!

After reading the article I didn't know what to do with myself and I found myself asking myself questions like should I stop Facebooking? Stop blog hunting? Stop blogging? All very anxiety inducing!

The answer is not that I should stop my social media habits but rather to wait on God, He is after all the creator and the author of time, my moment in the sun is coming.

I found encouragement and comfort in these words...

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.        
Proverbs 3:5-6

The Lord is not slow to fulfil his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
2 Peter 3:9

Therefore the Lord waits to be gracious to you, and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you. For the Lord is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for him.        
Isaiah 30:18

And that's exactly what I am going to do.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment